Wednesday, August 12, 2009

From Wellfleet



The days have been sunny here, and more conducive to going to the beach and exploring than for painting.

One cloudy morning I primed 7 canvases with black gesso, which has been the color of my ground for the past year. I have been working on a variety of smaller canvases, which are easier to transport, and I figure easier to sell than large canvases. Also, cheaper to frame. I am hoping to bring some of them to my yearly art/craft fair that I do, as I start to phase out craft for painting.

As I study with different artists and teachers, I learn new techniques. Some I have abandoned, using only what works for me, others I incorporate into my work on a long term basis, until I have mastered it, or discover something else. I am trying not to bounce around too much, as I don't want to be a master at nothing.

I have taken many photos, a few which will be used for painting in the studio. Like with technique, I take what I like, and leave the rest. The photos are useful for seeing shape, light, and color, though the greens and intense blues of the marsh are etched into my brain.

Today is cloudy, and perhaps I will start a painting. I have bought acrylics with me, which I am learning to use better as I learn to paint with oils. I know it sounds odd, but as I became more adept at handling oil, I am learning how to tame acrylics in spite of their fast drying time.
They no longer frustrate me quite like they did in collage years, where I likened to painting with acrylics to skiing, going from quick packed powder, to slush.

Photos of the salt marsh.

Patti

No comments:

Google