Wednesday, December 31, 2008

NY City show review


I realized that I never commented back on this show. Many of you pushed me to have confidence and try it out. Reach for the stars. Go beyond Ulster County.

I am glad it did it, though the rewards were not necessarily monetary.

The trip was a grueling 3 hours in a rainstorm, most of the delays from the George Washington bridge traffic, and work being done on the Henry Hudson. I was late and had 1/2 hour to set up, but they gave me a fabulous space for fine art, as well as my card racks. It was a bit of a pain loading things on and off elevators, but I survived it.

It was down on Park Avenue and 36th, for a company called Digitas, a well known international digital marketing agency. The employees were young beautiful cutting edge youth--- from 25-40 ish. (the young ones who have grown up practically cutting teeth on computers...)

They loved my fine art, and though I did sell some work, I knew that they too were feeling the crunch of this fragile economy, and were not in the market to drop money on art or anything else for that matter.

Then came the parking bill of 60.00, never mind the gas/toll for the trip.

I may have made 50.00 (am having problems with a paypal payment from one person) after the travel expenses, and it was an exhausting trip back home. I didn't even hang out in the city because..I simply couldn't afford to.

What did I get out of it? The joy and excitement of people really loving my small paintings even more than my cards. The muse whispering "do more art Patti...paint, collage, get going sista!" The bottle of home made Coquito that I bought from one of the vendors that was enjoyed by many over the holiday season.

They want me back in the spring for a "Mother's Day" show. I don't know if I will do it. If I do I will figure out how to pack everything in a wheeling bag and a back pack, take the train, and a cab. Maybe I will do a bunch of small pieces at a price you can't say no to. And people need to see you more than just once so they know you are in it for the long haul and they get to know you.

One day at a time.

In the meantime, I have a few projects I am working on, and Valentine's Day is around the corner!

patti

Photo..handmade 1880's bookmark listed on my Catskillpaper Etsy site.

No comments:

Google