Monday, September 24, 2007

Learning How I Work



I have come to realize how I work as an artist, and how to loosen myself up. FINALLY. How long have I been making art? But after the last six months of working plein air as much as I can, I think I am understanding MY process.

I find when I first start a session I work rather tightly, and when I work in watercolors I tend make the first one illustrative. The first piece I don't feel is good enough to have merit as a painting, so I often go back into it and draw with a waterproof marker. Sometimes I draw with it first, and then paint, but more often I paint and draw into it. That drawing gets me warmed up and getting used to the medium.

After I complete that, I feel ready to use watercolor on its own, and try and simplify and abstract into form, line, and color.

Here is an example of three sketches I did at Corporation Beach in Dennis, MA.
I think by the third one I was loosening up. I don't know that I will ever be a great watercolorist, but even if the painting is not strong, I trim them down, and they make a great hand painted card, or base for collage.

Patti

No comments:

Google