Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Today's art and Fave Music of the week

I touch upon the story behind this piece in today's entry in my other blog Eat Man Drink Water. (link is here to the left and below) I think many of my readers bounce back and forth between my blogs as they sort of compliment one another and fill in the blanks. Sometimes. My motto is -- never tell all.

Perhaps I should make a story writing contest to go with this picture. I looks like something that should illustrate Poe or Lovecraft; much scarier than King. What I WILL tell you is that the ground is painted 8 ply mat board, and the illustrations are from a variety of antique engravings, prints, etc. The little devil on the bottom left is actually a Dore print from an original edition of Dante's Inferno (it was in bad shape so I do use a piece from time to time. Just too too good.) They are made using the Talbot method of collage.

I have got to find just the right frame for this. I could see a black tramp art frame, but HA what is the likelihood of finding one in a few days. And it has to be matted.

I HATE MATTING AND FRAMING. I know how to do it professionally, a friend of mine who is very anal about things like that taught me well. I just don't like it, but I am not yet at the stage where I can pay to have it done. (it could easily be a 75.00 job)

This week's top pick for studio music is the CD titled Namaste. The piece that I love most is by composer Gary Malkin and it titled The End of Suffering. It is a guided meditation by a Buddhist monk with music and vocals. Stunning. Go to the link I am providing, and click on "Click here and listen".Mary Beth, I know you are going to LOVE this. I owe you music girl!

It touches me deeply on both the personal and universal level.

The entire CD is good. Google it and listen to samples. I think Amazon has it. I-Tunes has it but I think it is only a partial album so nix that, unless you just want to download a song or two. The Rasa is a wonderful piece too, but they are all beautiful and have their own unique characteristics. I listen to this every night when I fall asleep.

In peace and healing, Patti

PS Here is the meditation:

May the sound of this bell penetrate deep into the cosmos
Even in the darkest spots living beings are able to hear it clearly
So that all suffering in them ceases, understanding comes to their heart
And they transcend the path of sorrow and death.

The universal dharma door is already open
The sound of the rising tide is heard clearly
The miracle happens
A beautiful child appears in the heart of the lotus flower
One single drop of this compassionate water is enough to bring back the refreshing spring to our mountains and rivers.

Listening to the bell I feel the afflictions in me begin to dissolve
My mind calm, my body relaxed
A smile is born on my lips
Following the sound of the bell, my breath brings me back to the safe island of mindfulness
In the garden of my heart, the flowers of peace bloom beautifully.

No comments:

Google